Thursday, June 11, 2015

Assignment #6

Project based learning

1.Project Based Learning Part 1: Dr. Strange's interview with Mr. Capps gave me a small glimpse into incorporating project based learning into the classroom. This video helped me to understand the concept of project based learning, as it should be a way to teach children from beginning to end. Traditionally projects are due after a lesson has been given, but through PBL the entire project is in fact the lesson, and the outcome. It makes perfect sense how effective this style of teaching must be. When you give a child something interesting that can in some way relate to them they are more excited to participate.

 2.Project Based Learning Part 2: I really appreciated how Anthony elaborated on how sometimes things don't always go according to plan. Sometimes a "curve ball" might get thrown your way as a teacher, and you have to find an alternative. Planning your projects can be time consuming, and require a lot of work. Projects are something that you put time an effort in, and like Anthony stated "you are proud of them", But you have to be ready for someone to disagree. Either way through project based learning you should never limit a child through what you have asked of them, let them go beyond. It will help them to develop there own ideas and become more effective thinkers.

 3. iCurio: is an online tool that is used throughout Baldwin County school systems. ICurio is basically a filtered search engine that provides students with proper internet access for educational purposes. I really love this idea! I was not aware that programs like this exist. I have expressed in the beginning of this course my skepticism towards this new technological way of educating, but with every lesson I do I see the impact. One of the questions that I wondered was how we could prevent students from having fun on the internet rather than learn. It is refreshing to know that these issues are being monitored through programs such as ICurio.

 4.Discovery Ed: Is another exciting resource that children are using in class. I am really starting to see the process in which technology is being used in such a positive way in schools. Discovery Ed provides students with lesson, pictures, and videos that are related to subjects. This virtual way of learning has endless possibilities. It goes far beyond one text book used all year long, the information that we can discover is amazing.

 5.Tips for Teaching: I really enjoyed this interview. Its nice to get an honest take on the life of a teacher. I love the point that Anthony makes about how being an educator should be fun, and its ok to take that home with us. Our jobs should extend beyond our 9-5 paid hours, and be something we actually enjoy discussing with our families. Being an educator is apart of who you are as a person not just a job. Dr. Strange make a great point, that we have to have a love for learning. Our learning experiences will go far beyond our college years, it will be a way of life throughout our careers and then some. We have to be good learners in order to be good teachers.

6. Use Tech Don't Teach it: I felt as though this video was intended for me. I am one of those people who thought technology in the class was ridiculous, but I have always seen the importance of keeping up with the times. Mr. Capps is right there is nothing that we can do about it as educators so we had better get on board with the idea. I think Anthony makes a good suggestion, that rather than teaching technology he lets his students learn about it by using it. Any type of hands on learning is the most effective learning tool in my opinion. Throughout my short time as an EDM310 student I have learned more about technology than ever. By our assignments alone I am doing things I doubted I could do.

7.Additional Thoughts: I see through this video that planning a lesson takes a lot of thought. Everything must be connected properly for it to flow in to the next lesson, and those after.

4 comments:

  1. I also enjoyed the tips from teachers post and the advice from a teacher in a classroom. I also agree that we have to be good learners to good teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Discovery Ed is a great website to use in the classroom. I searched for plants on the website.Different worksheets ,lesson plans and videos are available on the websites for this topic.Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete