Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Special Assignment

curriculum21

Curriculum21 is a great site. I'm so glad it was introduced to us in this assignment. The amount of resources is impressive. Here are a few that really stood out to me, and I'd like to use one day.

1. Visual Thesaurus: This webpage is really cool. I have never seen a visual Thesaurus, but I'm so glad I found this one on Dr. Jacobs page. I will definitely like to use this learning tool one day in my classroom. The visual thesaurus is really easy to use, and gives you so many different definitions to any word searched. For instance, "Dog" will provide you with different breeds of dog, any kind of subject related to dogs, and a list of different ways the word can be used, nouns, adverbs etc. It's a great way to have student expand their vocabulary, punctuation, and remember words. Really great find!

2. Tag Galaxy: Tag Galaxy is fun, and interesting way for students or anyone to explore the many different meanings of a word. It has a futuristic feel to it which keeps it exciting. I searched the word yellow, which brought me to different items that could be yellow, for instance a flower, or banana. I chose flower, and tag galaxy showed me thousands of different pictures that included yellow followers. You can individually keep clicking on each flower to get a different description. What a fun way to increase vocabulary, and literacy skills.

3.Story Bird: I absolutely love the concept of this page. As a future English teacher this will be a must have in the classroom. Story Bird lets you choose from an array of colorful animations, and pictures. You can then make them your own by telling your own story using these animations. Students can write poetry, Journals, whatever they would like, save it and share it. This is a wonderful way to improve writing in general, and also enhance creative writing for young students.

4. ZooBurst: Like Story Bird, ZooBurst allows students to create their own stories, while using 3D images. ZooBurst offers some choices for 3D pop up, or you can use your own images. I really love this concept for Elementary aged students, or students who would like to get a little more creative with their animations.

5.Easy Bib: I love this tool. Easy Bib helps students form citations by simply scanning their book bar code with their phones. Not only is this something that I would recommend for my own students, but as a student myself I might use. What a convenient way to get your sources down.

6.ReadWriteThink: Is a part of the International Literacy Association. It's a wonderful resource for teachers, students, and parents. This page has classroom resources, lesson plans, videos, personal development tools, and after school resources for all grade levels. Read, Write, Think has something for everyone to learn about. I really think this can be a great resource for any teacher.

2 comments:

  1. "I choice the word yellow, which brought we to different items that could be yellow, then I choice flower, and tag galaxy showed me thousands of different pictures that included yellow followers. " There are 4 mistakes in this sentence. Can you find all three (one is a repeated mistake)? You should be able to find them if your plan is to be an English teacher!

    "...a books bar code…" book's, not books. Better: the bar code of a book.

    "...but as a student myself I will start to use. " You need it after use.

    "6.ReadWriteThink: Is a part of the International Literacy Association." I do not think part of is correct. Perhaps "offered by" or "provided by".

    "Its a wonderful resource for teachers, students, and parents." It's, not Its.

    PROOFREAD. You will expect your students to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How embarrassing?! I see my mistakes. This was a product of not proof reading and being exhausted while I was doing this assignment. I will correct my post.

      Delete