Sunday, June 7, 2015

Search Engines

Search Engines
According to my husband I'm a know it all thanks to Google. His favorite dig when I have a question is "Google it"! So its pretty clear I am a Google fan. It has always been my "go to" search engine for everything, so when I was asked to find 8 I was shocked at amount of choices. I had no idea there were so many different option. Here are a few I found.

Bing-Seemed to be okay until I began searching. Seems to have poor search quality compared to Google. I hate to make constant comparisons, but that is the standard that they must hold up to in my opinion. I did however enjoy there image quality, it seemed to be more high definition to me. very crisp photos.

yahoo- I actually like Yahoo, it seems rather easy to function, and everything you might want view is right there on the main page. Mail is easy to find, weather, news etc. When you type in something is shows, pictures, videos and any other subject matter related to your search. Visually is could use some updates, but all around not bad.

AOL- Like Bing it was just OK. AOL gives access to email and other feeds fairly easily, but I didn't care for the layout of its links. Everything seemed to be the same. It is an older search engine, but many people still use it for email purposes.

ASK- I kind of like this search engine because it is different from most. Its more based on answering a specific question and it gets you a range of answers. This could be useful when you need to find out a generalized question fast.

Web Crawler- I didn't care for this one at all it was very plain, not at all visually appealing. When you search for something is brings up inappropriate context mixed with things that can be accessed for children.

Duck Duck Go- I really didn't hate this one. It's not a favorite. Seems to have a lot of great video options, and is pretty straight forward when you search something. I didn't find it at all appealing to the eye.

Wolfram Alpha- Honestly I love this one! It seems like a very useful resource for educational purposes. It gives great descriptions on subjects and clear directions. I'll definitely use this in the future.

Dog Pile- Really cute layout on main page, other than that images are mediocre, and video selections were OK. Searches were very generic. This one wasn't bad, but I think I'll stick to Google nonetheless.



2 comments:

  1. "...so many different option." options, not option

    "... related to your search.it." search.it.?

    "...for this one at all it was very plan, not at all visually appealing. " plain, not plan. You need a period after all and a capital to start the next sentence.

    "...but it has perks. " Perks? What do you mean?

    "Wolfram Alpha- Honestly I love this one! It seems like a very useful resource for educational purposes. It gives great descriptions on subjects and clear directions. I'll definitely use this in the future." What does it do? How does it work? Did you even use it? I certainly can't determine that from what you have written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a Google fan, and never even knew there were so many other search engines out there. I enjoyed trying the ones that you highlighted. I found Bing to be a lot more helpful than I thought. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete